This is a beautiful, light lunch that is perfect for summer. Serve this with an avocado sandwich for lunch and you will think you’re in the tropics.
Life has been a little hectic of late resulting in my not being able to blog. Work has had me traveling and keeping me busy. Kids have come home to visit (and eat), etc. Sometimes life just gets in the way. Oh well. In the meantime we’ve still been fixing dinner, trying new things and redoing old things.
With temperatures on the rise and the abundance of fresh produce at the markets, especially the yellow (Ataulfo) mangos, we were looking for a cool delicious dish. This is it. It has wonderful flavors that play well together. The Mango Gazpacho is silky smooth with the luscious sweetness of the mango mellowed by the cucumber and apple coupled with the tangy, spicy Pickled Shrimp. Everything is is perfect balance. So if you’re looking for a cool respite from the heat this summer give this dish a try.
For the Pickled Shrimp
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup Champagne vinegar
- 2 whole star anise
- smidgen of ground cinnamon
- smidgen of ground clove
- smidgen of ground allspice
- 3/4 tsp yellow mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf crushed
- 1 tablespoon minced lemongrass
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced serrano chile
- 12 uncooked medium shrimp (about 8 ounces), peeled, deveined
For the Gazpacho
- 2 large ripe (Tommy Atkins) mangoes (5 yellow Ataulfo mangos), peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1 small green apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 small celery stalk, chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 large jalapeño chile, seeded, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- fresh cilantro sprigs for garnish
For pickled shrimp: Combine water, Champagne vinegar, star anise, cinnamon, clove, allspice, mustard seed, coriander, bay leaf, lemongrass and sea salt in a medium saucepan.
Cover; bring to boil. Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro, onions, and serrano chile.
Transfer to glass jar and add shrimp.
Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and chill overnight.
For gazpacho: Place all ingredients in blender.
Blend mixture at high speed until smooth and liquified. If you want the Gazpacho thinner, add a little more (1/4 cup) orange juice.
Place in a container and chill overnight. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Ladle soup into 4 bowls; top each with 3 shrimp. Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve and enjoy!